what first, djembe or dunun?

Home Forums Percussion Other Other what first, djembe or dunun?

• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by Bibi.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Bibi
      Participant

Didn’t really know where to put this, but hope you’ll have an answer anyway. I want to learn how to play African drums, but don’t know where to start. Is there a recommended order? Like, djembe first and then dunun? Or the other way around? Sorry for asking silly questions, but I want to go about this properly.

Kurt M
      Participant

Hi @bibi why not start playing dunun and djembe at once? In my opinion these instruments make the music together and for a full understanding you should know djembe and dunun parts. There are quite a few teacher out there that combine both instruments in one lesson.

Have fun, Kurt.

Bibi
      Participant

Thanks so much, @kurtm, didn’t know that was an option too. Guess I’ll have to wait until this whole corona thing is over for real life lessons though. I now started by going on youtube and watching some instruction videos on learning the djembe. Don’t know if these guys are any good though. Any tips on good channels to follow for this purpose?

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Bibi.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.